Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Review: Lost in the Phantom's World

So that you can keep Jonelle and I (and our blogs) straight, I’ll briefly reintroduce myself; I’m Wendy German, a student at the University of Windsor pursuing my B.A. in English and Arts Management. I have a dance, vocal and theatre background and a love of the performing arts. As promised, a review of the Friday September 11th, 2009 evening performance of Phantom.

Phantom of the Opera is a spectacle for the senses. Christine’s naiveté and fear as she steps into the underground lair are almost palpable. The Phantom himself is a magician, manipulative and a monster, both literally and figuratively. The music continues to replay itself over in my mind and is eerie and beautiful. The full company singing Masquerade in elaborate, glittering outfits is a fitting backdrop to the Phantom’s dominate red, skull-faced pirate attire. There are so many moments to mention, the chandelier floating up to the ceiling of the opera house, far above the stage was brilliant. Even thought I watched it happen, it is still hard to believe, how do they do that? (I realize the answer is a wire, however this is an unromantic, logical answer and I prefer to think of it as the magic of theatre!) The evening ended with a standing ovation for the leads, notably appropriate in my opinion. There is still time for you to get lost in the Phantom’s world. The show is here until September 27th.

The next event at the Detroit Opera House is Verdi’s Nabucco. This is an opera about religious epiphany, ascension to the throne, sibling rivalry and a love triangle (what’s opera without a love triangle or two?). With some planning and a little luck I am hoping to view a rehearsal, as we get closer to October. I’ll also have to start thinking about a costume for the Haunted in the House/Opening night of Pilobolus evening; it will have to be something whimsical!

No comments: