Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Haunting Tale...


My first day as one of the new interns here at the Detroit Opera House was even better than I anticipated. My name is Wendy German. I am an English major as well as pursuing my Arts Management Certificate at the University of Windsor. I will be seeking a career in the theatre/entertainment industry upon completion of my degree. First up was a grand tour of the beautifully restored Opera House. There are so many amazing spaces, lounges, rehearsal halls, staircases and of course the spectacular stage. There was even a secret passage, slightly unnerving when the current show is about a Phantom haunting an Opera House!

Since I have only seen the movie, I am thrilled to be seeing Phantom of the Opera, the musical, for the fist time on stage. A real connection grows between the actors and audience during live theatre so I am expecting to be both mesmerized and enchanted! In anticipation I have been looking up lyrics, and listening to the music. I confess I even changed my screensaver to a picture of Christine and the Phantom. Here are some particulars that might interest you about the touring production that opened here last night. The chandelier is 1,000 pounds (it is massive, I went and peeked) and has 35,000 beads and 50-radio controlled lights. There are 165 wigs used to compliment the 230 costumes for the show. I’ll post again once I have seen the production and let you know what I think. I hope you get a chance to see for the first time, or indulge again in the haunting tale of seduction and despair.

No comments: