Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Unique OPERA-TUNE-ITY

Hello once again! I appologize that it has been so long from my last post, but I have some amazing interviews to share with you! The Elixir of Love will be at the Detroit Opera House performed by the Michigan Opera Theatre March 27- April 4 (buy tickets at motopera.org). I had a chance to interview the wonderful Soprano, Amanda Squitieri, Production Stage Manager, Ken Saltzman, and conductor, Stephen Lord. I asked them about opera and what it means to them.

Amanda Squitieri

What steps do you have to take in order to prepare for the show?


The first thing that you have to do is first of all make sure that its right for you, second if its a language thats not one of your languages, you start with the text first, because we are telling a story, and since we have words, the text is really important. I read the whole libretto first, and if its in Italian or English I just keep reading through and understand the story. If its in a language I don't know, I go to a diction coach and get a handle of of to pronounce it. And then, for me, once I have a handle on all of the words, the music comes a lot easier. I couldn't imagine just jumping into a piece and going straight to the music. Each language also has it's own melody. And then theres of course, where it takes place, what the people are like, what status your character has, the story- theres just a lot of research that goes into it. Then thinking about your character, you have to think about what you would bring to it. For example, Adina can seem mean, but shes educated and a land owner and she has certain standards and expectations, so you just kinda learn why people act the way they do and you can add the layers on after that.

What is a typical day like for you when you arrive at the Opera House?

The first thing we usually do is a music rehearsal whether its one on one or with a group and run through the whole thing and get to know each other musically a little bit. Before we start the staging.

How would you compare Elixir of Love to other operas you have been apart of?

I love the music, I love the text, its light and comic but it has depth also. Theres some musical lines and text that's pretty deep- its not just a typical slap stick comedy. It can be more than what it seems, its fun and beautiful.

What is your favorite score of music to sing?

I thought I did have one, but this past year, I learned the Cunning Little Vixen and I got introduced to the music...I'm at heart a Puccini girl, and I feel that is where I belong. I think Boheme, I had a lot of fun with Rondine- I think Puccini in general really touches me.

What do you find most fulfilling about your job?

That I get to do it. I am really thankful everyday that this is my job. The fact that I'm doing something that I've wanted to do since I was 12 is really special to me. I love that I get to come to work, tell stories, sing beautiful music, I get to do exactly what it is that I can imagine myself doing.

What sparked your involvement with opera?

I was about 12 years old and I was looking in the news paper and I saw there were auditions for The King And I and I asked my mom if I could audition for it. And I memorized a song from the videocassette and they took me. They were opera pushers and when I was 13 I started taking opera lessons with them, I learned every aria they gave me and I fell in love with it. Its just something that came to me, I didn't search out, but once I found it, I chased after it.

What is your favorite opera?

I don't have a favorite opera, I've sung everything from extreme modern opera to baroque opera. In the end I wind up putting everything I can into each piece I do. A lot of times you become apart of it. You want to tell them the best story that you can. In the end, you give it everything. Naturally you're going to love it.

What do you think makes opera singers unique compared to singers in musicals or pop singers?


First thing is that we have to have a technique that is healthy enough and strong enough to cut through an orchestra without being microphoned in pretty big spaces. Its a completely different way of singing.


***********************************

Look forward to seeing Ken's interview tomorrow and Stephen's the day after!

No comments: