Wednesday, March 25, 2009

OPERA-TUNE-ITY Continued...

Hello again! As promised, here are Ken's interview questions and answers. Look forward to seeing Stephen Lord's questions and answers tomorrow!

Ken Saltzman



As stage manager for The Elixir of Love, what kind of preparation are you responsible for?

I do a lot of information gathering to prepare the foundation for a good rehearsal process. I prepare a score that I work out of which becomes my production book containing all the cues for the show. I also am the scheduler so I am gathering all the info from the conductor and staff members to coordinate all our production meetings and rehearsals. I touch base with all of the guest artists and make sure that everyone knows whats going on- that everyone is informed and that there are as few surprises as possible. I also work with my two assistants that help me with all of the preparations. We prepare paper work for the rest of the Production team, the rehearsal hall for day-to-day rehearsals, and divide responsibilities to balance our work load.

As we approach the show, what is a typical day in your shoes like?

There are three phases to a shows progress: the preparations and rehearsal period, the tech process, and performances. I prepare a daily schedule, I distribute rehearsal notes to the different departments and keep everyone informed of what’s happening in rehearsals to lay the foundation for tech week. During tech week, everything grows exponentially when we move to the stage. We inform our Stage Hands and Wardrobe and Wigs/Make-up colleagues of what they need to do to support the show. And in the performance process we make sure that everyone is does what they are responsible for so that everything goes swimmingly. It’s a live performance so anything can happen.

What other responsibilities do you have with coordination of all the people involved (cast, musicians, costumes, etc)?

I have contact with everyone for various reasons, from the General Director to the Stage Hands and front-of-house. I have to communicate with everyone.

Is the production of Elixir different than other operas? Is this opera more difficult or easier in any way?

Because it has been put in a more modern time, that changes things a bit. It’s a smaller show in some respects, the cast is smaller, the run of performances is shorter. But for the most part it’s another opera. This seems to be more manageable than many. It's one set that doesn't move, its a smaller Chorus, fewer Supers, fewer Principals, it’s a remount of a show that has been produced before so we are not recreating the wheel.

During the shows, what is your role and how do you make the opera run smoothly?

During performances I see myself as the calm voice through the chaos. It’s essentially up to the Maestro and Stage Management to guide all the variables involved to create a performance. Stage Management is responsible for cueing every entrance including the Maestro, every curtain rising, every lighting change, trouble-shooting when anything goes awry. Once the house lights go to half, there’s no stopping it. In a musical, the actors can improvise or the Orchestra can vamp if something goes wrong, but in opera it’s like a big snowball rolling downhill and there’s no stopping it once the house lights go out. I and my two Assistants do everything possible to support the Artists in giving their best performances.
What do you like most about being the stage manager for an opera?
Everyone has their own talents and I see a large part of mine trying to be a good facilitator so the artists can give their best. I like pulling all the different parts together and creating a whole with all of my colleagues. Its great to see from first rehearsal to closing night especially if it’s a real challenging piece. To see it all come together is very satisfying, along with earning the respect of my colleagues. I get a lot of satisfaction from working with great people.

Is there anything about your job that you would change?

If Stage Managers were compensated more closely to that of their colleagues, better Stage Managers would stay in the business longer.

Are there any unique stories you would like to share?

I was doing a show at which the Producer happened to be a bass baritone. And during the curtain call the Producer said something in a loud bass baritone voice and the stage hand thought I called the curtain in just as the singers lowered their heads for a bow. The curtain was motorized and could not be stopped. And the singers rose up from their bow a fraction of a second before the curtain clobbered them all. The moral of the story is- keep deep-voiced producers away from back stage at all times.

Anything else I can share with my readers?

This is my 8th season with MOT. It's my 27th year in this business. Carmen was my first opera here in 2001 and I’m excited to be doing it again in May. I feel very fortunate to have been entrusted with two world premieres with this Company where most Stage Managers rarely have the opportunity to do one. I'm looking forward to my 9th season.

No comments: