Friday, March 13, 2009

Interview with Sarah Smith

Hello once again! As you may know, Romeo and Juliet is being performed this weekend at the DOH by the amazing American Ballet Theatre. I had the chance to interview a member of the corps de ballet, Sarah Smith. Here's what Sarah had to say:

At what age did you start dancing?

I started when I was six and I started to do the pre-professional training when I was 11.

What made you want to become a ballet dancer?

Honestly, I have a sister that is a year older than me, and I did everything she did. So when she started ballet class, I had to start ballet class too. At age 12, I did the ballet Giselle and that was my first big ballet and that’s when I knew I had to do it for a living.

Have you always wanted to dance with ABT?

Yes, it was always a dream to me. I had to dance somewhere, so I would dance for any company as long as I was making a living out of it.

What was you most challenging experience with dance?

I would say injury. My senior year in high school I had a stress fracture in my foot. Just anytime you’re injured its hard.

What was your most accomplishing experience with dance?

Definitely, getting into ABT.

How do you feel dance has made you a better person?

I think with the acting that’s involved, you have to take on so many different roles. It just makes you really get a feel for what each kind of person experiences. It’s also made me appreciate my body more.

What is a day in your shoes like at the ABT?

It varies a lot, but typically class then seven-hour rehearsals with a one-hour break. Some days we’ll have a longer time for breaks than others, it just depends. It’s most strenuous when we’re performing.

What other dreams would you like to accomplish in life?

I would love to have a family one day and experience life with family. If I find another passion with work, then that would be great too.

What do you like most about performing with ABT?

I would say the repertoire that we get to do, the choreographers we get to work with, the costumes, the set. The thing above all that is the people you get to work with, the company members are so great.

Do you have a message you would like to send out to dancers that are reading this blog?

Push through the times that get tough and don’t loose hope because its so rewarding once you get through it. Also, don’t take any one person’s opinion too seriously.

Do you have anything you would like to tell or say to readers in general?


Just love what you do and enjoy every minute of it, whether its ballet or anything.



So come see the show this weekend! I had a sneak-peak and I can say that it's absolutely breathtaking!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I met Sarah Smith once. She is a wonderful and beautiful woman. Her grandfather is a great man. Steve PT palm beach FL