Monday, February 2, 2009

Alvin Ailey in the House! (The Detroit Opera House that is)

So, Alvin Ailey is coming to the Detroit Opera House from February 12 to the 15. The company is in its 50th anniversary year and has been pushing boundaries of modern dance in America by showcasing the power and importance of black cultural expression.
One of the most popular and performed dances by Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre is Revelations. Let me tell you: It is an experience! Here is an excerpt:


Isn't that beautiful?! I'm very excited about the show- as you should be too!

This past weekend, I went to the International Association for Blacks in Dance Conference (a.k.a. IABD) and I got to meet George Faison, who danced with Alvin Ailey in the 60's. He later went on to choreograph The Wiz, and concerts for Earth Wind and Fire along with Gladys Knight and the Pips. Here's a picture of Faison and I at IABD.


And another one of us laughing and joking around. We're best buds!

I'll be at the Thursday night showing if you want to come find me!

Dates and Times:
Thursday, Feb 12 at 7:30
Friday, Feb 13 at 7:30
Saturday, Feb 14 at 2:30 and 7:30 (Now that would be a cute V-Day Date!)
Sunday, Feb 15 at 2:30

Visit motopera.org for ticket information.

Talk to you guys soon!

No comments: