Monday, February 16, 2009

Alvin Ailey Touches the Human Spirit Once Again

As I noted in previous posts, I went to go see Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater on Thursday and Sunday. Although both of those nights consisted of the same pieces, chills went down my spine and I could feel the rhythm and passion in my heart. The dancers were not only amazing in technique but also in the life they brought to the dance itself.

I took my little sister from Big Brothers/Big Sisters to the Sunday show. She had never seen a dance concert (or any kind of live theatrical concert) before, so Alvin Ailey was quite the experience for her. She said she liked the duets in Festa Barocca, along with the entire series of Revelations. On the way home, she couldn't stop talking about how much she wants to be a dancer just like the dancers in Alvin Ailey. After every piece I'd ask her things like, "Wasn't that beautiful!" and "Did you think that was completely gorgeous, or what?" Of course she just laughed, smiled, and agreed with me.

She and I were flipping through the publication of Bravo and she was so excited that Aladdin was coming in late February. (I told her I might be able to score some tickets- V.I.P. style) I let her know all there was to know about the Grand Rapids Ballet Company and how I saw their production of Peter Pan last year and I thought it was great.





Aladdin is being performed at the Detroit Opera House on February 28th at 12:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. The full-length production includes lavish costumes, scenery that transforms the stage into a Middle Eastern landscape, a full rangeof orchestral music, a Genie of the Lamp that grows, and of course, amazing choreography by Artistic Director Gordon Peirce Schmidt.



I'll let you all know if I'm going- Maybe if you do go and you find me- we can get a fabulous picture of ourselves up on here!



Also coming to the Detroit Opera House this month is Rent (and the readers gasp with excitement!). Rent will be performed February 17-22 and will star original cast member Anthony Rapp and Broadway cast member Cary Shields.

I don't think I really have to explain what this one is about. Come on- If you haven't heard of Rent yet, you've been living under a rock. But just in case you would like a reminder, BroadwayInDetroit.com says:
RENT is the classic musical about love, friendship and community, and the seventh longest-running show in Broadway history. Now, RENT is coming to Detroit in a new touring production starring original Broadway cast members Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp!
Over the course of its groundbreaking 12-year New York run, RENT transformed the definition of musical theater -- and changed Broadway forever. Set in NYC's East Village, RENT is a modern take on the classic Puccini opera, La Boheme. It tells the unforgettable story of a group of young artists learning to survive, falling in love, finding their voices and living for today.





The showings are:


Tuesday, February 17 at 8:00 p.m.
Wednesday, February 18 at 8:00 p.m.
Thursday, February 19 at 8:00 p.m.
Friday, February 20 at 8:00 p.m.
Saturday, February 21 at 2:00 p.m.
Saturday, February 21 at 8:00 p.m.
Sunday, February 22 at 2:00 p.m.
Sunday, February 22 at 7:30 p.m.





For ticket information visit http://www.motopera.org/

See you all again soon!

No comments: