Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Interview With Homero Velho

Hey again! Our second part of the Carmen interviews is with Baritone Homero Velho. Tomorrow with be the last part of the Carmen interviews with choreographer Lili Del Castillo.



What steps do you have to take in order to prepare for the show?
I guess what I try to do is being as musically prepared as I can. Make sure you have the music really well learned so you can follow what the director wants you to do. So I just try to be as best prepared I can with the music.

What is a typical day like for you when you arrive at the Opera House?
Well if I’m called from 2-5 I will warm up in my room and review a bit of the music and try to mentally think of the scene involved so I am prepared for what we are doing for that day. I guess it’s a little bit of anticipation so I’m prepared and when I get there I just do whatever has to be done.

How would you compare Carmen to other operas you have been apart of?

I think the one thing that sets Carmen apart is the sheer number of hit tunes. It has at least three or four tunes that everyone has heard of once in their life. I think that sets it apart from other operas. It’s one of those operas that becomes famous by its own right.

What do you find most fulfilling about your job?

The fact that I get paid to do what I love. That’s really the main thing that I get paid to do something I like and most of the time I’m lucky in that.

What sparked your involvement with opera?
Singing in my high school choir definitely. I was 16 when I started and gradually got involved with music. I can definitely trace it back to singing in the choir.

What is your favorite opera?
Its hard to choose a favorite opera and you end up getting involved in every one of them. But if I had to choose I would choose Don Giovanni.

What do you think makes opera singers unique compared to singers in musicals or pop singers?
I think we have to have more discipline. Practicing everyday, learning languages, and taking care of our voices. I’m not going to go out drinking every night or anything like that so I think it’s the discipline that sets us apart from other singers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Mr. Velho. My name is, Aurelia, and I am a volunteer at WRCJ 90.9 FM. It was good to read your statement that you get paid to do what you love. This is my quest in life to also get paid to do what I love. Hopefully, one day I will get the opportunity to see you perform.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it, Homero, you have done well for yourself since school in the UK