Friday, May 1, 2009

Carmen-Behind the Scenes Part 1

I had the opportunity to interview Janinah Burnett who will be performing the role of Micaela in the Detroit Opera House's Production of Carmen May 9-17.

What steps do you have to take in order to prepare for the show?
Well I have to learn my notes, learn the words that I’m going to say, memorize what the words are, what I say, and what the character I interact with says. I also have to know the storyline so I get the libretto or the story so I have background information. And I get vocally lined up as well by my teacher if need be.


What is a typical day like for you when you arrive at the Opera House?

First we go into the rehearsal hall and wait for the director to tell us where to start. So I go in and wait until its time for me to go into the rehearsal. Then we run it and he’ll give us notes after we finish. Then we watch the other artists do their scenes and chat a little bit.


How would you compare Carmen to other operas you have been apart of?
Being an opera singer, most of the work that I do I really like. Carmen is really popular because it has a lot of memorable melodies that are rhythmically exciting, which makes it interesting for the artist. Carmen is different because there is a female heroine that is so free, which makes the opera so cool because we have a woman that is unwilling to conform to the norms.


What do you find most fulfilling about your job?

Well I love to sing so just the fact and the ability to do that is really exciting. Singing with other colleagues and singing with the orchestra is the most fulfilling thing.


What sparked your involvement with opera?
In college I had to sing arias from various operas and I was pulled in- I really enjoyed it. When I got to graduate school that’s when I really did opera. And what continued it was to see my colleagues doing it and I really loved it, which inspired me to be apart of it.


What is your favorite opera?
Carmen and Turandot are my two favorites.


What do you think makes opera singers unique compared to singers in musicals or pop singers?
Well the first thing is that we use the amplification of our bodies opposed to microphones. So that’s the primary difference. Other than that, we all have to act. I will say though that opera singers have to be more stage actors than pop singers.

Anything else to share with our readers?
That opera is really a fascinating medium and it seems kind of boring but if you get out to a show like Carmen and draw into the fact that these are just people making these sounds it is fascinating. Also, allow the music to be the catalyst of the emotion that you feel.



No comments: