Friday, July 2, 2010

Another new face at the DOH!


Hello! My name is Carrie, and like Eleanor, I started an internship at the Opera House this week! I just graduated from Butler University in Indianapolis with a Bachelor's in vocal performance. This is a photo of me singing Pamina in Butler's spring production of The Magic Flute (which you can see this spring at the Detroit Opera House, www.MichiganOpera.org) As a singer, the opera house is a very exciting place for me to be. I love the magic of opera; it moves you in a way no other live performance can. I'm delighted to have the opportunity to share my love of opera with you!

The first opera I saw at the Detroit Opera House was Porgy and Bess. Porgy and Bess has a uniquely American feel; the voices are operatic but the subject matter and jazz influence are purely American. It also contains one of my favorite arias of all time, "Summertime." Click the link to see a fantastic performance of "Summertime" by the legendary Leontyne Price.

Of the operas I've seen, my favorites are probably Tales of Hoffman by Offenbach, La Traviata by Verdi, and La Boheme by Puccini, but there are so many more I'd love to see!

During my time here, I'm hoping to give you a look at what happens before the opera season starts, because there's a lot going on! Learning at the opera house is in full swing, dancers from all over the world are here, and of course we're preparing for our fantastic fall season!

Stay tuned for more exciting updates from the DOH interns!

No comments: